Monday, June 13, 2011

Entry the 35th: Earth Crisis - Breed The Killers

Breed The Killers was the first (non-live) Earth Crisis album to be released after I started listening them. The anticipation with which I waited for this release was massive. It came out in September of 1998, but I don't think any of the stores in Winnipeg got it in until at least October. I eventually managed to pick it up at Sam the Record Man.

I was not disappointed. I spent an inordinate amount of time listening to this album. Lots of my favorite things, most notably straightedge subject matter, but now with much more vaguely revolutionary rhetoric to "inspire" a teenage boy, and even a little millennial fear-mongering! Great! Even a good re-recording of Ecocide from the All Out War EP. It was all still in line with what one would expect Earth Crisis to produce, and I certainly was not looking for them to reinvent the wheel.

Too bad it didn't have the staying power. Destroy the Machines and Gomorrah's Season Ends were both better albums with better songs, and it is almost certain that if I find myself in the mood to spin some Earth Crisis it won't be this album heard from the speakers. Although I am enjoying this right now, even if it is largely for some nostalgia value.

Check out: End Begins

No comments:

Post a Comment