Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Entry the 23rd: All Out War - Truth In The Age Of Lies

Birthday disc number three. Like Hatebreed, I heard of these guys first through the Victory Records website. Victory was set to release For Those Who Were Crucified in the near future, but this Gain Ground release just happened to be sitting in the metal section at The Cellar and so voracious as I was for new music, my fistful of dollars and I picked it up.

Definitely somewhat akin to Hatebreed in that they had much more of a metal influence, this got lots of play back then. This was probably the heaviest thing I had, at least in the guitars department, though the vocals did sap some of the thickness. A little screechy, except for a few bits featuring guest vocalists doing something like an actual death metal growl, which was a novel thing to my ears.

I had not listened to this all the way through for years, and I actually really enjoyed it this time around. Today I can appreciate the more ponderous, more atmospheric bits that as a teenager only slowed me down. Some of the songs still do drag a little, but I am enjoying this, and I found it tough to choose a song to include!

Check out: The Deceived and the Deceivers

No comments:

Post a Comment