Friday, April 2, 2010

Entry the 17th: Refused - Songs To Fan The Flames Of Discontent


My first foray outside of the USA was into Sweden via hardcore band Refused. I had been missing out! I'd learned about them through the second Victory Style compilation with the song It's Not OK... I remember the day I bought this album at The Cellar with my friend Joe, and listening to it for the first time at home, the intro to Rather Be Dead being so exciting, and then the song itself being so fast but also nice and heavy at the same time.

I still love this band, although this isn't my favorite of their albums. It seems so much smarter than so many of these early selections of mine. Not necessarily in the lyrics, as I think they're just as naive as any other, but in the songwriting. Not so heavy a reliance on breakdowns or singalongs.

Check out: Rather Be Dead

No comments:

Post a Comment